The Personal Injury Commission's response to COVID-19
The Personal Injury Commission is continuing to deliver important services for injured workers and injured road users during the coronavirus pandemic. It is important that our people, those who use our services, our decision-makers and our stakeholders are protected. The Commission is monitoring the COVID-19 situation and will respond quickly to changes in restrictions and public health orders as they happen.
Our current arrangements are:
Medical assessments currently scheduled to take place in Greater Sydney (including the local government areas of the Central Coast, the City of Shellharbour and the City of Wollongong) between Monday 28 June – Friday 27 August 2021 will either be rescheduled or proceed via videoconference.
During this time period, medical assessments will be managed in the following way:
- Assessments scheduled for Greater Sydney will either be moved to videoconference where agreed to by the parties and medical assessors or alternatively will be rescheduled for the next available appointment.
- Assessments may proceed as arranged where both the claimant and the medical assessor are located in a regional or rural area that is not subject to a Public Health Order.
- The Commission’s team is contacting all impacted parties to manage the appointments on a case-by-case basis.
Medical assessments currently scheduled for the week commencing Monday 30 August 2021 and ongoing will proceed at this stage. We may need to revisit this based on any further Public Health Orders issued in the meantime.
- In most cases, hearings are continuing to be conducted virtually.
- Legal representatives are requested to advise the Commission at the earliest opportunity if a matter will not be able to proceed virtually due to mobility restrictions currently in place in specified local government areas. Claimants are encouraged to participate in virtual hearings from their place of residence, wherever possible.
- If an in-person hearing is sought for a particular matter, an application needs to be made to the Commission President. Procedural Direction PIC10 – Hearings during COVID-19 sets out the circumstances that need to be addressed, although parties can bring any matter to the President’s attention when making such an application.
- Read more about arrangements for hearings.
Lodging applications and documents
- All applications, forms and documents must be lodged via the Commission’s online portals.
- Requests to review physical files will be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Please email requests to review files.
Personal Injury Commission office
- Please note that in line with Public Health Orders, the Commission’s office at 1 Oxford Street, Darlinghurst has been closed since Monday 28 June with all staff working remotely and our reception unmanned.
- Read more about how to contact the Commission.