- Annual review
- Appeal Case Summaries
- Table A-PIC delegations-PIC Act and regulations-1 March 2021
- Table B-PIC delegations-Rules-30 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 1 March 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Rodney Parson Tables A and B
- Instrument of Delegation Marie Johns
- Instrument of Delegation Marianne Christmann
- Table A - PIC delegations- PIC Act and Regulations - 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Sub-Delegation dated 30 April 2021.pdf
- Instrument of delegation dated 23 May 2021.pdf
- Instrument of Delegation dated 25 August 2021
2021 Legal Bulletins
- Legal Bulletin No. 1 - 05032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 2 - 12032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 3 - 19032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 4 - 26032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 5 - 01042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 6 - 09042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 7 - 16042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 8 - 23042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 9 - 30042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 10 - 07052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 11 - 14052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 12 - 21052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 13 - 28052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 14 - 04062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 15 - 11062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 16 - 18062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 17 - 25062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 18 - 02072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 19 - 09072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 20 - 16072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 21 - 23072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 22 - 300721
- Legal Bulletin No. 23 - 06082021
- Legal Bulletin No. 24 - 13082021
- Legal Bulletin No. 25 - 200821
- Legal Bulletin No. 26 - 270821
- Legal Bulletin No. 27 - 03092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 28 - 10092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 29 - 17092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 30 - 24092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 31
- Legal Bulletin No. 32 - 08.10.2021
- Legal Bulletin No. 33 - 15102021
- Legal Bulletin No. 34 - 22102021
- 2021 Legal Bulletins
Papers and presentations
- PIC Seminar Workers Compensation February 2021
- PIC Legal Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- PIC Insurer Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- Speeches by the President
- Inaugural ceremonial sitting speeches
Personal Injury Commission News
2021 Personal Injury Commission News
- Medical Disputes Suitable for Paper Assessment September 2021
- Edition No. 1
- Edition No. 2
- Edition No.3
- Edition No.4
- Edition No.5
- Edition No.6
- Edition No.7
- Edition No.8
- Edition No.9
- Edition No.10 - 22072021
- Edition No.11
- Edition No.12
- Edition No.13
- Edition No.14
- Edition No.15
- Edition No.16 - 19102021
- 2021 Personal Injury Commission News
- Procedural Direction PIC1 – Conduct of parties during proceedings
- Procedural Direction PIC2 – Determination of matters ‘on the papers'
- Procedural Direction PIC3 – Documents and late documents
- Procedural Direction PIC4 – Expert Witness Evidence
- Procedural Direction PIC5 – Schedule of Earnings
- Procedural Direction PIC6 – Medical Assessments
- Procedural Direction PIC7 – Appeals, reviews, reconsiderations and correction of obvious errors in medical disputes
- Procedural Direction PIC9 – Production of Information and Calling of Witnesses
- Procedural Direction PIC10 – Hearings during COVID-19
- Procedural Direction PIC11 – Medical Assessments Procedure – COVID-19
- Procedural Direction WC1 – Compensation payable on death
- Procedural Direction WC2 – Interim payment directions
- Procedural Direction WC3 – Presidential appeals and questions of law
- Procedural Direction WC4 – Work injury damages
- Procedural Direction WC5 – Work Capacity Disputes
- Procedural Direction WC6 – Workplace injury management disputes
- Procedural Direction MA1 – Stood over proceedings
- Procedural Direction MA2 – Merit review
- Procedural Direction MA3 – Approval of damages settlement
- Procedural Direction MA4 – Appointed representatives
- Procedural Direction MA5 – Matters unsuitable for assessment and mandatory exemptions
- Procedural Direction MA6 – Review of a single merit review by a review panel
- Procedural Direction MA7 – Claims disputes
- Motor Accidents Division
- Workers Compensation Division
Edition 8 - February 2021
Welcome to the latest edition of Towards the PIC.
We are now only three weeks away from opening the Personal Injury Commission on 1 March 2021.
This edition includes updates about the PIC Rules, which have been published today, registration information for the roadshow sessions we are running for the legal and insurance professions which commence this week, plus reminders about upcoming system outages.
I will provide further updates for you in the lead up to commencement on 1 March.
Judge Gerard Phillips
New PIC Rules Finalised and Published
I am very pleased to announce today that the Personal Injury Commission Rules which were made by the PIC Rule Committee have been finalised and published.
A great amount of detailed thought and reflection has gone into the creation of these Rules and we have received a lot of very helpful feedback from stakeholders during the drafting and consultation process. The feedback was carefully considered in determining the final, published version.
I do appreciate that it is one thing to draft Rules, and it is another thing to see how they operate in practice. I have no doubt that there will be feedback on the implementation and practical application of the Rules when they are in operation from 1 March. I welcome your feedback via your representatives on the PIC reference groups. The reference groups and their constituents are listed here in this earlier edition of Towards the PIC
The Rule Committee have undertaken to review the Rules within the coming 12 months to ensure they are working as intended.
Please familiarise yourselves with the new Rules to gain an understanding of how matters lodged with the PIC from 1 March will be managed.
Roadshows for the Insurance and Legal Professions Commence Tomorrow
The PIC is commencing a virtual roadshow for the insurance and legal professions tomorrow, to ensure stakeholders in these cohorts are briefed about the changes and well placed to know what to expect from 1 March.
The roadshow sessions, which will be presented by the PIC’s Motor Accidents and Workers Compensation Division Heads, cover why the PIC is being established, what it will do, the benefits it will deliver, what is and isn’t changing and what insurers and legal representatives will need to do differently from 1 March. They also include information about technology changes to be aware of and PIC’s new contact details. There will also be an opportunity to ask questions.
If you are yet to register to attend a session, I would encourage you to do so as the sessions will provide valuable context for you ahead of launch on 1 March. Please register here.
Reminder: Upcoming Systems Outages
The Dispute Resolution Services (DRS) and Workers Compensation Commission (WCC) case management systems and portals will be updated in the lead up to commencement of the PIC. The changes are primarily cosmetic, to ensure that the systems and templates reflect the new Personal Injury Commission branding and language.
To enable our technology team to make the updates required, both the DRS and WCC systems will be taken down at various times during February. Please take note of the outage windows listed below so that you can plan around them.
WCC Case Management System
The Commission’s electronic case management system will shut down:
Thursday 25 February 6pm – Monday 1 March 9am
You will not be able to access Comcase/MyFiles or the Online Portal to upload documents on the evening of Thursday 25 February, for the whole of Friday 26 February and over the weekend. Parties will also not be able to access their matters or lodge documents through the Portal.
Refer to this Workers Compensation Commission e-bulletin for more information on how to minimise the impact to business.
DRS Case Management System
The DRS case management system, including the Insurer Portal, Legal Portal and Claimant Portal will shut down over two weekends:
- Friday 12 February 5pm – Monday 15 February 9am
- Friday 26 February 5pm – Monday 1 March 9am
You will not be able to access the portals during these timeframes, so please consider this when planning your electronic interactions with DRS.
Have a question about the PIC?
If you have a question you would like to ask about the PIC, please email us at PICstakeholder@wcc.nsw.gov.au
Missed earlier editions of Towards the PIC?
If you’re new to our distribution list for this newsletter, I’d encourage you to view the earlier editions. Access them here.
Subscribe to Towards the PIC here
If you have not received this newsletter directly from the PIC and you would like to subscribe to receive future editions, please subscribe here.