Workers Compensation Commission guidelines for media representatives
Arbitration hearings and appeal hearings against the decision of an Arbitrator are open to the media and the public unless the Commission orders otherwise. This document provides information for media in relation to attendance at arbitration hearings and appeal hearings against the decision of an Arbitrator.
- Annual review
- Appeal Case Summaries
- Table A-PIC delegations-PIC Act and regulations-1 March 2021
- Table B-PIC delegations-Rules-30 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 1 March 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Rodney Parson Tables A and B
- Instrument of Delegation Marie Johns
- Instrument of Delegation Marianne Christmann
- Table A - PIC delegations- PIC Act and Regulations - 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Sub-Delegation dated 30 April 2021.pdf
- Instrument of delegation dated 23 May 2021.pdf
- Instrument of Delegation dated 25 August 2021
2021 Legal Bulletins
- Legal Bulletin No. 1 - 05032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 2 - 12032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 3 - 19032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 4 - 26032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 5 - 01042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 6 - 09042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 7 - 16042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 8 - 23042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 9 - 30042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 10 - 07052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 11 - 14052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 12 - 21052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 13 - 28052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 14 - 04062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 15 - 11062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 16 - 18062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 17 - 25062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 18 - 02072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 19 - 09072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 20 - 16072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 21 - 23072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 22 - 300721
- Legal Bulletin No. 23 - 06082021
- Legal Bulletin No. 24 - 13082021
- Legal Bulletin No. 25 - 200821
- Legal Bulletin No. 26 - 270821
- Legal Bulletin No. 27 - 03092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 28 - 10092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 29 - 17092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 30 - 24092021
- Legal Bulletin No. 31
- Legal Bulletin No. 32 - 08.10.2021
- Legal Bulletin No. 33 - 15102021
- Legal Bulletin No. 34 - 22102021
- 2021 Legal Bulletins
Papers and presentations
- PIC Seminar Workers Compensation February 2021
- PIC Legal Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- PIC Insurer Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- Speeches by the President
- Inaugural ceremonial sitting speeches
Personal Injury Commission News
2021 Personal Injury Commission News
- Medical Disputes Suitable for Paper Assessment September 2021
- Edition No. 1
- Edition No. 2
- Edition No.3
- Edition No.4
- Edition No.5
- Edition No.6
- Edition No.7
- Edition No.8
- Edition No.9
- Edition No.10 - 22072021
- Edition No.11
- Edition No.12
- Edition No.13
- Edition No.14
- Edition No.15
- Edition No.16 - 19102021
- 2021 Personal Injury Commission News
- Procedural Direction PIC1 – Conduct of parties during proceedings
- Procedural Direction PIC2 – Determination of matters ‘on the papers'
- Procedural Direction PIC3 – Documents and late documents
- Procedural Direction PIC4 – Expert Witness Evidence
- Procedural Direction PIC5 – Schedule of Earnings
- Procedural Direction PIC6 – Medical Assessments
- Procedural Direction PIC7 – Appeals, reviews, reconsiderations and correction of obvious errors in medical disputes
- Procedural Direction PIC9 – Production of Information and Calling of Witnesses
- Procedural Direction PIC10 – Hearings during COVID-19
- Procedural Direction PIC11 – Medical Assessments Procedure – COVID-19
- Procedural Direction WC1 – Compensation payable on death
- Procedural Direction WC2 – Interim payment directions
- Procedural Direction WC3 – Presidential appeals and questions of law
- Procedural Direction WC4 – Work injury damages
- Procedural Direction WC5 – Work Capacity Disputes
- Procedural Direction WC6 – Workplace injury management disputes
- Procedural Direction MA1 – Stood over proceedings
- Procedural Direction MA2 – Merit review
- Procedural Direction MA3 – Approval of damages settlement
- Procedural Direction MA4 – Appointed representatives
- Procedural Direction MA5 – Matters unsuitable for assessment and mandatory exemptions
- Procedural Direction MA6 – Review of a single merit review by a review panel
- Procedural Direction MA7 – Claims disputes
- Motor Accidents Division
- Workers Compensation Division
These Guidelines apply to Commission’s arbitration hearings and appeal hearings against the decision of an Arbitrator. These proceedings are open to the media and the public unless the Commission orders otherwise. Mediation and conciliations are conducted in private and are not open to the public or media.
Arbitrator appeal hearings as well as arbitration hearings lists are also published daily on electronic boards at the Commission’s premises on Level 21, 1 Oxford St Darlinghurst.
Media access to the Commission
Media representatives are asked to respect the privacy and rights of other parties, representatives and witnesses who are attending the Commission’s premises.
Electronic recording including filming and still photography of the Commission’s hearing rooms and public areas (Floors 19, 20 and 21 at 1 Oxford St Darlinghurst) is not permitted without the prior permission of the President or Registrar. As a general rule, filming to illustrate a decision by a Commission Arbitrator or Presidential member for the purposes of a daily news story will not be permitted.
Media attendance at Commission hearings
Media representatives are welcome to attend Commission hearings in order to assist them report on Commission decisions. Please check with the Level 21 Concierge before visiting a hearing room in the Commission to ensure that the matter being heard is open to the public and the media. Seating is ordinarily available in the back row of the Commission’s hearing rooms. Standing in Commission hearing rooms whilst proceedings are conducted is not permitted.
Media representatives are asked to ensure they respect the Commission’s obligation to conduct proceedings in a fair, independent and professional manner. Media representatives are asked to comply with the following whilst attending Commission hearings:
- Electronic recording of Commission hearings including filming, photography or audio recording is not permitted;
- Mobile devices must be turned off;
- Talking and whispering loudly in the hearing room whilst matters are being heard is not permitted; and
- Eating and drinking is not permitted.
Media representatives who do not comply with these guidelines and disrupt proceedings will be asked to leave the hearing room by the presiding Presidential member or Arbitrator.
Difficulties in observing a public hearing (either an Arbitration hearing or an appeal to Presidential member) should be raised with the Commission’s Registrar.
Access to Transcripts
Transcripts from appeal hearings are available from the Commission. The Commission may charge a fee.
Access to Commission decisions
The Commission publishes many of its decisions on its website. Please contact the Commission’s Registrar if you are seeking access to an unpublished decision of the Commission.
From time to time, the Commission may publish a précis or decision summary to assist the media in reporting upon a particular Commission decision.
Members of the Commission and staff cannot comment on specific decisions, however Commission representatives may provide public comment and interviews as appropriate. Interviews should be arranged through the Commission’s Registrar.
Media representatives should direct their enquiries to Rod Parsons, Registrar on (02) 8281 6403 or by email to email@example.com.