- Annual review
- Appeal Case Summaries
- Table A-PIC delegations-PIC Act and regulations-1 March 2021
- Table B-PIC delegations-Rules-30 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 1 March 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Rodney Parson Tables A and B
- Instrument of Delegation Marie Johns
- Instrument of Delegation Marianne Christmann
- Table A - PIC delegations- PIC Act and Regulations - 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Sub-Delegation dated 30 April 2021.pdf
- Instrument of delegation dated 23 May 2021.pdf
2021 Legal Bulletins
- Legal Bulletin No. 1 - 05032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 2 - 12032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 3 - 19032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 4 - 26032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 5 - 01042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 6 - 09042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 7 - 16042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 8 - 23042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 9 - 30042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 10 - 07052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 11 - 14052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 12 - 21052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 13 - 28052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 14 - 04062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 15 - 11062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 16 - 18062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 17 - 25062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 18 - 02072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 19 - 09072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 20 - 16072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 21 - 23072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 22
- 2021 Legal Bulletins
Papers and presentations
- PIC Seminar Workers Compensation February 2021
- PIC Legal Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- PIC Insurer Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- Speeches by the President
- Inaugural ceremonial sitting speeches
- Personal Injury Commission News
- Procedural Direction PIC1 – Conduct of parties during proceedings
- Procedural Direction PIC2 – Determination of matters ‘on the papers'
- Procedural Direction PIC3 – Documents and late documents
- Procedural Direction PIC4 – Expert Witness Evidence
- Procedural Direction PIC5 – Schedule of Earnings
- Procedural Direction PIC6 – Medical Assessments
- Procedural Direction PIC7 – Appeals, reviews, reconsiderations and correction of obvious errors in medical disputes
- Procedural Direction PIC9 – Production of Information and Calling of Witnesses
- Procedural Direction PIC10 – Hearings during COVID-19
- Procedural Direction WC1 – Compensation payable on death
- Procedural Direction WC2 – Interim payment directions
- Procedural Direction WC3 – Presidential appeals and questions of law
- Procedural Direction WC4 – Work injury damages
- Procedural Direction WC5 – Work Capacity Disputes
- Procedural Direction WC6 – Workplace injury management disputes
- Procedural Direction MA1 – Stood over proceedings
- Procedural Direction MA2 – Merit review
- Procedural Direction MA3 – Approval of damages settlement
- Procedural Direction MA4 – Appointed representatives
- Procedural Direction MA5 – Matters unsuitable for assessment and mandatory exemptions
- Procedural Direction MA6 – Review of a single merit review by a review panel
- Procedural Direction MA7 – Claims disputes
- Motor Accidents Division
- Workers Compensation Division
Edition 3 - October 2020
Welcome to the third edition of Towards the PIC, a newsletter designed to update you on the actions we are taking to prepare for commencement of the Personal Injury Commission (PIC) on 1 March 2021.
This edition focuses on recruitment of PIC Members, development of Regulations and Rules, establishment of reference groups and other key activities that are underway to prepare for commencement.
I anticipate that you will find the information useful and look forward to sharing more with you soon.
Judge Gerard Phillips
PIC Member Recruitment
I have sought approval from the NSW Attorney General to commence recruitment for member positions in the Personal Injury Commission. These positions include:
- general members for full-time and sessional work in the Motor Accidents Division of the PIC
- principal members to work across both Divisions of the PIC
Appointment of these members will ensure a seamless transition to the PIC and the maintenance of ‘business as usual’ casework during the time of change and ongoing.
I anticipate the full external recruitment initiative for the Motor Accidents Division members will commence next week. This will be a swift recruitment process due to the time pressures of completing the recruitment action and appointments prior to the commencement of the PIC on 1 March 2021.
The position advertisements will be posted on:
Please keep an eye out for these position advertisements if you are interested in applying. If you would like a copy of the Information Pack for these roles, please see the iworkfornsw advertisement or contact NGS Global via an email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference number J15822 for the General and Sessional Member roles, and JI5824 or the Principal Member roles. If you require further information after reviewing the Information Pack or website, please contact Dr Marianne Broadbent or Mark Lelliott at NGS Global on 1300 138 863 or +61 3 8626 0600. If you wish to apply you need to do this directly to NGS Global at email@example.com following the instructions that are in the Information Pack .
Regulations and Rules Development
Work is ongoing to develop the Regulations and Rules that will govern the PIC’s operations.
Regulations are being drafted and consultation with key stakeholders will be undertaken in the coming months.
The Rule Committee has also commenced, tasked with developing the Rules for the PIC. The Committee is meeting on a weekly basis and is making good progress. The draft Rules will also be subject to consultation later in the year.
Establishment of Reference Groups
I am currently establishing multiple reference groups that will meet regularly in the lead up to commencement of the PIC. These groups will give delegates of impacted cohorts an opportunity to receive updates about PIC establishment activities and provide input and feedback regarding the changes. The groups include:
- Stakeholder Reference Group
- Medical Assessor Reference Group
- Members Reference Group
- Mediator Reference Group
I would like to thank the nominees who have already expressed their interest to participate in these groups and look forward to firming up the remaining delegates. The first meetings of these groups will be convened soon.
Building a Seamless Customer Service Experience
An extensive body of work is being undertaken to establish the PIC as a brand new organisation with a single ‘front door’, ready to provide an improved and seamless customer service experience from launch in March 2021.
A dedicated program team is busy building a new website, preparing new telephone numbers, creating the brand for the PIC, planning to update staff email addresses and making adjustments required to existing Workers Compensation Commission and Dispute Resolution Services technology platforms.
A new code of conduct for members, decision making style guide and member’s handbook are also being developed.
These changes are vital to establishing the PIC as an independent and impartial tribunal that is well placed to serve the injured citizens of New South Wales. I will keep you updated on progress.
Missed earlier editions of Towards the PIC?
If you’re new to our distribution list for this newsletter, I’d encourage you to view the earlier editions. Editions One and Two included key information about the PIC legislation and statutory appointments plus comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions. Access them here.