- Annual review
- Appeal Case Summaries
- Table A-PIC delegations-PIC Act and regulations-1 March 2021
- Table B-PIC delegations-Rules-30 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 1 March 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Rodney Parson Tables A and B
- Instrument of Delegation Marie Johns
- Instrument of Delegation Marianne Christmann
- Table A - PIC delegations- PIC Act and Regulations - 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Sub-Delegation dated 30 April 2021.pdf
- Instrument of delegation dated 23 May 2021.pdf
2021 Legal Bulletins
- Legal Bulletin No. 1 - 05032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 2 - 12032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 3 - 19032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 4 - 26032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 5 - 01042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 6 - 09042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 7 - 16042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 8 - 23042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 9 - 30042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 10 - 07052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 11 - 14052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 12 - 21052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 13 - 28052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 14 - 04062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 15 - 11062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 16 - 18062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 17 - 25062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 18 - 02072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 19 - 09072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 20 - 16072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 21 - 23072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 22
- 2021 Legal Bulletins
Papers and presentations
- PIC Seminar Workers Compensation February 2021
- PIC Legal Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- PIC Insurer Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- Speeches by the President
- Inaugural ceremonial sitting speeches
- Personal Injury Commission News
- Procedural Direction PIC1 – Conduct of parties during proceedings
- Procedural Direction PIC2 – Determination of matters ‘on the papers'
- Procedural Direction PIC3 – Documents and late documents
- Procedural Direction PIC4 – Expert Witness Evidence
- Procedural Direction PIC5 – Schedule of Earnings
- Procedural Direction PIC6 – Medical Assessments
- Procedural Direction PIC7 – Appeals, reviews, reconsiderations and correction of obvious errors in medical disputes
- Procedural Direction PIC9 – Production of Information and Calling of Witnesses
- Procedural Direction PIC10 – Hearings during COVID-19
- Procedural Direction WC1 – Compensation payable on death
- Procedural Direction WC2 – Interim payment directions
- Procedural Direction WC3 – Presidential appeals and questions of law
- Procedural Direction WC4 – Work injury damages
- Procedural Direction WC5 – Work Capacity Disputes
- Procedural Direction WC6 – Workplace injury management disputes
- Procedural Direction MA1 – Stood over proceedings
- Procedural Direction MA2 – Merit review
- Procedural Direction MA3 – Approval of damages settlement
- Procedural Direction MA4 – Appointed representatives
- Procedural Direction MA5 – Matters unsuitable for assessment and mandatory exemptions
- Procedural Direction MA6 – Review of a single merit review by a review panel
- Procedural Direction MA7 – Claims disputes
- Motor Accidents Division
- Workers Compensation Division
Edition 4 - October 2020
Welcome to the fourth edition of Towards the PIC, a regular newsletter to update you on our progress towards commencement of the Personal Injury Commission (PIC) on 1 March 2021.
This edition focuses on membership of the PIC, with updates on a key appointment, a remuneration determination and recruitment of PIC Members.
I look forward to providing further updates soon.
Sincerely, Judge Gerard Phillips
Personal Injury Commission’s Executive Director / Principal Registrar Appointed
After an external merit-based recruitment process, I am pleased to announce the appointment of Marianne Christmann as the inaugural Executive Director and Principal Registrar of the PIC.
Ms Christmann comes to the PIC with a proven record in senior executive roles, including as General Manager Operations, Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, Chief Operating Officer, Greater Sydney Commission and Regional Director NSW / ACT, Family Court and Federal Circuit Court. Ms Christmann has Bachelor and Masters degrees in Law and a Bachelor’s degree in Science.
Ms Christmann will commence her new role on Monday 9th November 2020.
SOORT Determination for the PIC
The Statutory and Other Offices Remuneration Tribunal (SOORT) has made a new remuneration determination for PIC members. The determination includes the offices of President, Deputy President, Division Heads, principal members, senior members and general members.
These changes impact the following office holders which are currently subject to existing determinations under the Statutory and Other Offices Remuneration Act 1975:
- President of the WCC
- Deputy President of the WCC
- Acting Deputy President of the WCC
- Registrar of the WCC
- Senior Arbitrator or full-time Arbitrator of the WCC
- Principal Claims Assessor under the Motor Accident Injuries Act 2017 or the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999 (or both).
Claims assessors in Dispute Resolution Services, which are currently not subject to a SOORT determination, will be also be covered by the SOORT determination.
The current SOORT Determinations for these existing offices will continue until end of February 2021 at which time the Workers Compensation Commission and SIRA’s Dispute Resolution Services will be abolished. The new SOORT Determination for the PIC will commence on 1 March 2021.
Reminder: Recruitment for PIC Principal and General Members closes this Sunday
Recruitment has commenced and is closing soon for General Members, Motor Accidents Division (full-time and sessional) and Principal Members (full-time) for the PIC.
Full-time General Members and Principal Members are based in Sydney. Sessional General Members may be based in Sydney or regional locations. Some travel may be required.
Applications close at 11:59PM (AEST) on Sunday, 1 November 2020.
Please click on the links to view:
- PIC Member Information Kit 2020 - Principal Member
- PIC Member Information Kit 2020 - General Member
- PIC Member Code of Conduct 2020
How to Apply:
- NGS Global are conducting the full recruitment action.
- To apply, email NGS Global directly at firstname.lastname@example.org following the instructions that are in the Information Pack.
- Please contact Dr Marianne Broadbent or Mark Lelliott at NGS Global on 1300 138 863 or
+61 3 8626 0600 if you have any questions regarding the roles or recruitment process.
Note that recruitment for General Members is for the Motor Accidents Division only. Current WCC arbitrators (general and sessional) and mediators will not need to reapply as they will transfer as members and mediators to the Workers Compensation Division of the PIC, as per the Schedule 1 savings and transitional provisions of the PIC Act ..