- Annual review
- Appeal Case Summaries
- Table A-PIC delegations-PIC Act and regulations-1 March 2021
- Table B-PIC delegations-Rules-30 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 1 March 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Rodney Parson Tables A and B
- Instrument of Delegation Marie Johns
- Instrument of Delegation Marianne Christmann
- Table A - PIC delegations- PIC Act and Regulations - 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Delegation Judge Gerard Phillips 15 April 2021
- Instrument of Sub-Delegation dated 30 April 2021.pdf
- Instrument of delegation dated 23 May 2021.pdf
2021 Legal Bulletins
- Legal Bulletin No. 1 - 05032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 2 - 12032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 3 - 19032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 4 - 26032021
- Legal Bulletin No. 5 - 01042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 6 - 09042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 7 - 16042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 8 - 23042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 9 - 30042021
- Legal Bulletin No. 10 - 07052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 11 - 14052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 12 - 21052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 13 - 28052021
- Legal Bulletin No. 14 - 04062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 15 - 11062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 16 - 18062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 17 - 25062021
- Legal Bulletin No. 18 - 02072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 19 - 09072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 20 - 16072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 21 - 23072021
- Legal Bulletin No. 22
- 2021 Legal Bulletins
Papers and presentations
- PIC Seminar Workers Compensation February 2021
- PIC Legal Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- PIC Insurer Seminar Motor Accidents 080221
- Speeches by the President
- Inaugural ceremonial sitting speeches
- Personal Injury Commission News
- Procedural Direction PIC1 – Conduct of parties during proceedings
- Procedural Direction PIC2 – Determination of matters ‘on the papers'
- Procedural Direction PIC3 – Documents and late documents
- Procedural Direction PIC4 – Expert Witness Evidence
- Procedural Direction PIC5 – Schedule of Earnings
- Procedural Direction PIC6 – Medical Assessments
- Procedural Direction PIC7 – Appeals, reviews, reconsiderations and correction of obvious errors in medical disputes
- Procedural Direction PIC9 – Production of Information and Calling of Witnesses
- Procedural Direction PIC10 – Hearings during COVID-19
- Procedural Direction WC1 – Compensation payable on death
- Procedural Direction WC2 – Interim payment directions
- Procedural Direction WC3 – Presidential appeals and questions of law
- Procedural Direction WC4 – Work injury damages
- Procedural Direction WC5 – Work Capacity Disputes
- Procedural Direction WC6 – Workplace injury management disputes
- Procedural Direction MA1 – Stood over proceedings
- Procedural Direction MA2 – Merit review
- Procedural Direction MA3 – Approval of damages settlement
- Procedural Direction MA4 – Appointed representatives
- Procedural Direction MA5 – Matters unsuitable for assessment and mandatory exemptions
- Procedural Direction MA6 – Review of a single merit review by a review panel
- Procedural Direction MA7 – Claims disputes
- Motor Accidents Division
- Workers Compensation Division
Edition 7 - January 2021
Welcome to the first edition of Towards the PIC for 2021. I trust you had the opportunity to relax and refresh over the holiday period.
With commencement of the Personal Injury Commission (PIC) now only weeks away, my team is working hard on all of the activities required to open our doors as the new tribunal on 1 March 2021
This edition focuses on the appointment of new PIC members, the PIC’s new contact details, updates about the PIC Rules, roadshows during February and systems outages required to update our technology ready for launch.
Judge Gerard Phillips
New PIC Sessional Members Confirmed
I am pleased to announce that The Hon Mark Speakman, SC MP has made the following appointments to the PIC:
Sessional General Members
- Mr Stephen Boyd-Boland
- Mr Terrence Broomfield
- Mr Maurice Castagnet
- Mr Robert Foggo
- Mr David Ford
- Ms Margaret Holz
- Mr Michael Inglis
- Mr Hugh Macken
- Ms Elizabeth Medland
- Ms Bridie Nolan
- Ms Shana Radnan
- Mr Terence Stern
- Mr Cameron Thompson
- Mr Phillip Watson
- Ms Elyse White
- Mr Philip Young
I congratulate each and every one of our newly appointed Sessional General Members. The appointment panel was delighted with the high quality of all candidates who applied for members’ roles in the PIC. The new members bring significant experience and skill which will be to the benefit of the PIC and the citizens and insurers who will be appearing there. These appointments mean that the PIC across both divisions will have a full cohort of experienced decision makers ready for work on 1 March 2021.
The final draft of the Rules is currently being settled by the Parliamentary Counsel’s Office. Once this is done, the Rule Committee will consider and vote on them. I expect this will take place within the next 7-10 days. I will make an announcement once the Rule Committee resolves to settle the Rules.
Making it Easy to Contact the PIC
One of the key objectives of the new Commission is to create a ‘one-stop-shop’ that is easy for injured people to access. To that end, the PIC will have a single website, contact telephone number and enquiry email address, all in operation from 1 March.
Our contact details will be:
Telephone: 1800 PIC NSW (1800 742 679)
We will also operate a single reception desk on Level 21 at our 1 Oxford Street premises, to make it easy for people attending the Commission in-person.
Please ensure that you update the PIC’s contact details in your internal records in time for launch.
Roadshows for the Insurer, Legal and Government Cohorts Commence Soon
The PIC will deliver a virtual roadshow via webinar during February to ensure our stakeholders are briefed about the changes and well placed to know what to expect from 1 March. Sessions will be held for insurers and legal professionals who work in the motor accident and worker’s compensation jurisdictions, plus SIRA, WIRO and icare.
Please keep an eye on your inbox for your invitation soon and sign up to attend – the roadshow will be invaluable in helping you understand the key changes and things you will need to do differently when interacting with the PIC.
Upcoming Systems Outages
The Dispute Resolution Services (DRS) and Workers Compensation Commission (WCC) case management systems and portals will be updated in the lead up to commencement of the PIC. The changes are primarily cosmetic, to ensure that the systems and templates reflect the new Personal Injury Commission branding and language.
To enable our technology team to make the updates required, both the DRS and WCC systems will be taken down at various times during February. Please take note of the outage windows listed below so that you can plan around them.
WCC Case Management System
The Commission’s electronic case management system will shut down:
Thursday 25 February 6pm – Monday 1 March 9am
You will not be able to access Comcase/MyFiles or the Online Portal to upload documents on the evening of Thursday 25 February, for the whole of Friday 26 February and over the weekend. Parties will also not be able to access their matters or lodge documents through the Portal.
Refer to this Workers Compensation Commission e-bulletin for more information on how to minimise the impact to business.
DRS Case Management System
The DRS case management system, including the Insurer Portal, Legal Portal and Claimant Portal will shut down over two weekends:
- Friday 12 February 5pm – Monday 15 February 9am
- Friday 26 February 5pm – Monday 1 March 9am
You will not be able to access the portals during these timeframes, so please consider this when planning your electronic interactions with DRS.
Have a question about the PIC?
If you have a question you would like to ask about the PIC, please email us at PICstakeholder@wcc.nsw.gov.au
Missed earlier editions of Towards the PIC?
If you’re new to our distribution list for this newsletter, I’d encourage you to view the earlier editions. Access them here.
Subscribe to Towards the PIC here
If you have not received this newsletter directly from the PIC and you would like to subscribe to receive future editions, please subscribe here.