e-bulletin No. 93 - December 2019
The e-bulletin contains the following information: Online Portal – the way to go, Online Portal – new functionality, Amendments to Workers Compensation Commission Rules, Christmas/New Year arrangements, Issuing of decisions and medical assessment certificates, End of year message
Online Portal - the way to go
As foreshadowed over the course of 2019, the Commission will no longer accept hard copy or email lodgment of most forms and documents from 1 January 2020. Lodgments will be limited to the online portal, except for:
- Forms and documents lodged by self-represented parties;
- Form 5A – Application to Register a Commutation Agreement;
- Form 6B – Reply to an Application to Resolve a Workplace Injury Management Dispute (form still in development).
If you have not already registered to use the portal, you can register at:
Online Portal - new functionality
Submissions and other general correspondence can now be lodged through the online portal rather than by email. Parties can access the new functionality in the matter details screen. Simply click on the new ‘submission/correspondence’ icon and upload the relevant documents.
Amendments to Workers Compensation Commission Rules
Amendments to the Workers Compensation Commission Rules 2011 will commence on
1 January 2020.
The rule amendments follow a review of the Commission’s practice and procedure and are designed to improve the Commission’s operational efficiency and service delivery, particularly with respect to the Commission’s online portal.
The amendments involve the following changes:
- Requiring parties to lodge documents via the online portal unless the Registrar directs otherwise;
- Providing an electronic location of the Commission’s registry by way of email and the online portal;
- Making clear when service of a document is taken to be effected, whether electronically or by other methods;
- Prioritising email addresses as the preferred mode of service of documents;
- Facilitating privilege claims over documents produced by third parties using the electronic portal;
- Updates to reflect legislative changes.
A table of amendments is attached. The Rules will be published on the NSW Legislation website shortly.
Christmas/New Year arrangements
|Last day for teleconferences in 2019||Friday, 20 December 2019|
|First day for teleconferences in 2020||Wednesday, 8 January 2020|
|Last day for con/arbs in 2019||Friday, 20 December 2019|
|First day for con/arbs in 2020||Monday, 6 January 2020|
Urgent matters may be listed in the period 23 December 2019 to 3 January 2020 at the request of parties.
Registry opening hours (noting portal available 24/7)
|Monday, 23 December 2019||8:30am to 4:30pm|
|Tuesday, 24 December 2019||8:30am to 3:00pm|
|Wednesday, 25 December 2019||Closed|
|Thursday, 26 December 2019||Closed|
|Friday, 27 December 2019 (PS Holiday)||Closed|
|Monday, 30 December 2019||10:00am to 3:00pm|
|Tuesday, 31 December 2019||10:00am to 3:00pm|
|Wednesday, 1 January 2020||Closed|
|Thursday, 2 January 2020||10:00am to 3:00pm|
|Friday, 3 January 2020||10:00am to 3:00pm|
Issuing of decisions and medical assessment certificates
The usual appeal periods will apply during the Christmas/New Year period. Certificates of Determination, Medical Assessment Certificates or Medical Appeal Panel decisions will therefore not be issued from Monday, 23 December 2019 to Friday, 3 January 2020 inclusive. Consent orders lodged by parties will be issued.
End of year message
The Commission wishes practitioners and subscribers a Merry Christmas and joyous festive season. We look forward to seeing you all in 2020.
Judge Gerard Phillips